The Bagpipes, the Auld Scotch Sangs, Nessie and I

As my train drew to a slow halt at Edinburgh’s Waverly station on Monday afternoon, I could almost instantly, feel the difference in the air. I had left England four and a half hours earlier and was greeted, upon my arrival, by a tremendous outpouring of what the Scots like to call "LIQUID SUNSHINE" With that sort of optimistic take on the weather, one certainly does not get too perturbed about the lack of sunshine. In fact, I felt, oddly refreshed and ready to explore this historic land.

From its cobblestone streets, to museums and gardens, its many monuments and of course its castles, Edinburgh is simply one of the most architecturally astonishing cities, I have ever visited. Like any other tourist, I was a bit awestruck. I took in the usual sights of the city like the famous Edinburgh castle- which is really worth a visit, the Princes Street Gardens, Camera Obscura and museums. Sadly, I did not have time to visit the zoo, but I heard it is really good and has Europe's only known koalas there. The Whiskey Tour was quite nice, particularly as one does get to sample the produce of the distillery. At least now I know the difference between malt, blended and grain whiskey.

My arrival coincided with the GHOST FEST. There are a number of ghost tours in the city and I found myself joining a group of serious ghost hunters for a GHOST AND GHOULS tour. It is said, that by day, Edinburgh is a busy city, but by night, it takes on a more sinister air. The tour guides reconstruct the city's long gruesome history of murder, torture and hangings. There is apparently, a haunting legacy on the city's Old Town, and it is said that ghostly apparitions now roam the streets. The tour guides seem not just knowledgeable, but extremely animated in their recounting of tales, which makes the whole experience quite thrilling. The trip into the dark underground vaults have been known to produce several encounters, particularly, with the ghost called the Watcher, who is also respectfully referred to as Mr. Boots(because of his shuffling feet), for fear of offending him. He is said to be sinister and very dangerous. I did have a tiny, weird encounter, but thankfully it was not too frightening. There are no gimmicks, no actors that creep out at you for dramatic effect. Just a trip into the dark and unexpected. Even the reluctant bystander, will find the experience thrilling. But it is certainly not for the faint hearted.

The following day, I went on a long loop trip across the highlands and Loch Ness. I started with a breakfast at Sterling, where I had the opportunity to glimpse the famous Sterling castle. I crossed the dramatically scenic Rob Roy Country and the weeping Glen of Glencoe, which is the site of the famous massacre of the MacDonald clan. My next stop was for Lunch at Fort William, after which I headed along the Caledonian Canal where I stopped at the Commando memorial to admire Ben Nevis, in the distance. Then drove for a bit along Loch Ness to arrive at the famous Urquhart Castle. This is a really neat castle and worth the trip. I had the opportunity to take a boat across Loch Ness. There was no "Nessie, the monster" here, just a beautiful stretch of lake surrounded by breathtaking views of the hills and castles around it, and, the sounds of the bagpipes in the distance. I have to say , I have never felt so calm and peaceful as I did on the lake. My boat trip brought me to Inverness. After a while, I headed back to Edinburgh with stops along the way at the little town of Pitlochry and Perth. I also crossed the river Tay, which is supposed to be famous for salmon fishing. And then crossed the River Forth which is famous for its rail bridge. I reached Edinburgh at 9 in the evening, but I continued to party well into the night.

The topography of the Highlands reminds me a lot of New Zealand. They are both offer such dramatic landscapes and you cannot help but be totally awestruck. The Scots are a friendly bunch. I guess they are so used to the tourists. One thing I was just not brave enough to experience was HAGGIS. While I'm pretty good at eating most things, I cannot and have never been able to eat things like liver, kidneys tripe etc. I'm sure it's delicious but just not for me.

Finally on my last day I did a bit more exploring and souvenir shopping and reluctantly caught the train back to London. The trip may be over, but I can't quite get the sound of the bagpipes out of my mind. And I don't think I want to either, because they seem to be summoning my return. And I am only too happy to answer their call.

Comments

shefali said…
is it just me or did you so LOVE scotland / edinburgh!?!??!

was ace to catch up the other day. hope all is well. i shall email you prague dates soon !!

s xo

Popular posts from this blog

Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z

Vanity Fair