Vanity Fair

I was at a first Holy Communion party yesterday. It was a fun party, the music was good, the hosts were gracious, the food was superb and the guests seem to be enjoying themselves. Yet despite the company and the social niceties around me, I found myself bored silly. And I came to the horrifying conclusion, that somewhere, over the course of the last few years; I have turned into a social snob.

I don’t consider myself to be anything special, nor do I for a moment imagine that I am better than anyone. In fact, I’ll gladly attest to the fact that there are scores of Indians whom I’ve met that are far more talented, skilled, educated, socially and financially better off than I. So just what is my problem? Why, I ask myself, can I comfortably make friends with a Swedish girl in Edinburgh, but find myself so prickly in social gathering of Indians – people of my own community.

I am not ashamed of my Indian ness. Both my parents and my best friend still live in India. And I’ve had the good fortune of retaining some good associations with the Indians who still live in the motherland. Yet, my experiences with the Indian communities overseas particularly in Auckland have not been impressionable in the best of senses.

I’ve found the relationships that are fostered within the Indian community here; tend to be based on a mutual sense of utility – a need to use each other to get ahead. Solidarity is perceived but fragile, as competitiveness and the need to demonstrate financial well-being through outlandish displays of wealth, take precedence. Little groups or cliques are formed as people with common goals hover together. Gossip is usually rife in the community as is small town mentality. It’s awful that these despicable patterns of behaviour seem to be the socially acceptable norms. But that, I guess is a by-product of immigration and I’m sure this happens in other ethnic communities.

I’ve never been good at pretending to like people or exchange social pleasantries just for the sake of doing so. Mind you I don’t go around deliberately being nasty, but I just can’t muster up the energy to be nice when I don’t mean it. I’ve been at the receiving end of some of this dreadful conduct and there was a time, when I too ashamedly indulged in some of it. But I’ve changed a great deal – both in my thinking and in my behaviour.

I find that I no longer desire to be surrounded by people of my own upbringing to feel adequate. I also find that I increasingly enjoy the company of my family. I’d rather spend time just with them that flit around town. And I’m just at ease with spending time on my own.

I love meeting people who are different, people who have a bit more of a world experience than me. I find that conversation with them is often intellectually stimulating and enjoyable. But I’m perfectly comfortable in the knowledge that most of the people whose company I now enjoy, will really only remain acquaintances. And I’m fine with that. And just once in a while, one will come along who will turn out be a really good friend and that is a bonus.

A good case in point would be my friend Frendehl. She’s not Indian, but I thoroughly enjoy her company. We first met in Auckland about 5 years ago and developed a friendship that has lasted. We recently met up in Brussels and had a great time. We live in different cities, but we chat on the phone occasionally and it’s great. We have a friendship that is not based on a mutual need to feed on each other, to be seen together or to gossip. We, quite simply are just friends, that is a good thing and above all it’s not pretentious.

So is it a sign of old lady syndrome or just pain conceited vanity that keeps me away from fellow Indians? I’m not sure. Perhaps it is a combination of both. But if it is a choice between superficial social popularity and self- imposed social ostracism, I’ll gladly choose the latter. Because the truth is the former requires a skill set that I’m not equipped to cultivate or perfect – a thick skin, quite wittedness, shrewdness, fictitious affability. Frankly, it all sounds so terribly exhausting that I just can’t be bothered. So I’ll continue to be my narcissistic self. At least that, I know is sincere. And what's more is that I can live with it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey that's my girl....exactly
like your mum...can't put a
false front.
Anonymous said…
Hi,
I am from Christchurch, NZ, If you are referring the Indians as of from India, I am one of them, I was born in that nation but cut out of it for almost 8 years, and I myself have avoided Indians too, don't know why, never felt comfortable, I agree with lot of things you wrote. I always felt close to non Indians and other Asians, Traveled a lot of countries. I feel one of the reasons is that India itself is so huge and diverse, of many different races, thats why I guess, cultural differences, expectations etc. I also realized I got more freedom to be me, than I was in India where I had to conform to others, to please others. I guess, that is the beauty of being Indian, its diverse, and I represent one of that diversity without feeling guilty about it. Cheers, I'll add ur blog to my list of favorites, its interesting. Keep up the good work.
Anonymous said…
My friendship with Kim has lasted this long and I am sure would last forever because we became friends by choice. I guess if you meet people through your own ethnic community you have no choice but befriend other people just on the basis of your membership of this group, and this friendship is never genuine. Another good thing about inter-racial friendships apart from their voluntary nature is the fact that you learn so much from each other, and you feel free to discuss things and issues that you often cannot discuss with people from your own ethnic group, for fear of being judged. With voluntary friendships you can be yourself and you have a certain degree of autonomy that you can never have from being "friends" with people from your own ethnic community.

I am so lucky to have met Kim that day at the bus stop... She is one of the very few people I trust to know the real me.

Lots of love and hope to see you again soon!

F

Popular posts from this blog

Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z