IT's NOT JUST A GAME

As an Indian, I could not be prouder of my country's cricket team than to know that we have secured a place in the inaugural twenty 20 World Cup. The fact that we meet our arch rivals Pakistan in the finals is even more of a thrill. I don't think India and Pakistan have ever met in a World Cup Final before, so this match has a lot riding on it for a variety of reasons.

It is being referred to as the most exhilarating moment in cricket for a very long time. For both India and Pakistan it is an opportunity to exorcise the ghosts of the 2007 World Cup. According to media reports, the bookies are extremely busy and the broadcasters are speculating on viewership figures. The fans are no doubt in a state of nervous anticipation and I’m sure even the most impassive viewers will find themselves compelled to comment. As for the poor players, the pressure must definitely be on. This is not just about a game anymore; it is much more than it. It is a war of sorts. The hopes and aspirations of millions (a billion plus in India’s case) are resting on their shoulders. The pride of nations is at stake.

Cricket is a religion in India. It surpasses anything else that may seem significant and it is the one thing that unites the diverse nation. Growing up in Mumbai, I have fond memories of watching cricket matches with my family. There was nothing better than watching an India Pakistan match. Bombay (or Mumbai as it is now known) is normally a busy city with its teaming millions, traffic congested roads (not to forget the blaring horns from cars and rickshaws). Yet if you visit it during an India Pakistan match, you will think, mistakenly so, that you are in a ghost town. For there is not a soul on the streets and the silence is eerie – that is until a Pakistani wicket has fallen or a big run has been scored by the Indian batsmen. All of a sudden there is a tremendous outpouring of jubilant celebration – complete with screams of joy, firecrackers, drums and dancing in the streets.

I will be thinking of all of this tonight as I try and get a glimpse of the match. But more than that, I will be thinking of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and the rest of the Indian team. And I hope with all my heart that they will emerge victorious.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Whew what a game! There was I in a nail biting,tight gut feeling storming heaven that India win and win we did my prayers answered.The streets turned into dance floors,crackers were burst all night and jubilation unmeasured.
Mum
Anonymous said…
Whew what a game! There was I in a nail biting tight gut feeling Storming heaven with all my heart...my prayers answered and we won. What jubilation! the streets were turned into dance floors and crackers were burst all night through.
Mum

Popular posts from this blog

Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z

Vanity Fair