Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

One of the things that I genuinely miss about India is the ready availability and good quality of health care services in the country. While this may meet with raised eyebrows, those like myself who have lived (and still live) in India will know the extent of the truth I speak. There are so many doctors in India and many of them are really good.

Sadly NZ like some other developed nations is badly lacking in this area. There is a shortage of doctors and healthcare here is really expensive. A reason why I hate being ill and I don't frequent the doctors.

Three weeks ago I developed a sore throat which got progressively worse and very painful. So after a week of suffering, I decided to try and be sensible about it and visit my GP. The visit was brief, the examination even swifter and she diagnosed me with a throat and chest congestion. I was put on a course of antibiotics and sent on my merry (well not so merry) way. The cost of this visit including the medication was $85.

A couple of hours after this visit, I developed a ear ache and for the first time felt that my ears were blocked. By 7 pm that evening, the pain was excruciating and I was sobbing. My brother kindly took me to an after hours medical centre. The doctor there told me that he was surprised that my GP failed to check my ears during her examination, because my ear was so badly infected that my ear drum was about to burst. So I was immediately put on some strong painkillers and asked to continue with the course of antibiotics prescribed earlier in the day by my GP. The cost of this visit including the medication was $105.

Five days and some drugs later, there was very little improvement in my condition. So back I went to the doctor. My course of antibiotics was extended. I was granted a reduced fee. So the cost of this visit including the medication was $70.

It's now almost a week into this last visit. I'm still on the antibiotics and have improved a bit which is optimistic. The cost of this cold virus has set me back $260 so far (I don't qualify for a community services card) and I anticipate I'll have to go yet again to my GP in a week's time.

Moral of the story: The only thing I've learnt is what I knew before. Being sick is a really expensive affair!

Comments

Anonymous said…
True,it,s only in India that you
get good medical care ,besides the
genuine fuss,love and concern of
family and friends.
Mumbob
Anonymous said…
The cost of being ill in New Zealand makes me sick!
Hope you feel better soon.
Kirk.
Anonymous said…
Carl and I have been ill with all of your symptoms minus the earache. I'm not sure why it's so expensive in Auckland. Here in Chch if you have all your files transferred to one GP you pay less than $30 per visit (and if you're a student like me, it's $5!). Hmmm... Got your message by the way. Hope it wasn't too painful for you to leave a message on my voicemail. Anyway, I'm coughing non-stop now so must go. Get better soon, and whatever it is that's causing your earache, hope it's cured asap. Will keep you updated with our medical situation down here. Love, F
Kim said…
Well, I've just been to the doctor again, since I'm still ill.

It's cost me another $100 and I've been put on a new course of antibiotics and pain killers.

And I'm now 4 weeks into the illness.
shefali said…
ear-ache!!! awful awful. but listen i have been to docs for serious health stuff since i've been 8 (the deafness na) and so agree with you. india has the best docs. cheap too. plus it doesn't hurt that you get drugs for muft on the street ;-)
ps: vr r uuuuuuuuuu?!?!?
Anonymous said…
Hi Kim,

I hope your feeling better...ahhh poor baby..well Praveen and me, send lots of love & hugs your way and hope that you're back to your chirpy and dippy self.

Take good care sweetie,
Mel
Anonymous said…
Hi,
I kinda remember you from mahim if you are the same Valladares who had the really great house bang next to Mahim church. You write well; good to see you're doing well.
Just happened to stumble against your blog thought I'd leave a comment.
BTW I used to throw rocks at the fruit trees in your compound!

Take care

Popular posts from this blog

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z

Vanity Fair