I'm a celebrity....get me out of here

Lately it seems like there’s a plethora of news stories on celebrities getting into a spot of bother with the law. Naomi Campbell hitting yet another one of her staff, George Michael found slumped at the wheel and in possession of cannabis. There's the cocaine Kate story that is still running a variety of updates and of course, there’s Pete Doherty and his numerous arrests…the list is endless.

I’m not a great celebrity watcher so I don’t particularly care for much of the gossip that surrounds these people. But what I do care about is the treatment meted out to them, under the law.

I’m a firm believer in one law for all. So I fail to understand, how time and again, celebrities seem to get away with behaviour that would get the rest of us into serious problems. I have a serious bee in my bonnet when it comes to this issue.

Let’s take the example of Pete Doherty. How many times has this crackhead been caught with substance possession and aggressive behaviour while under the influence? He shows no respect at all for the law, is often late for court hearings and his numerous court appearances are a joke. Yet he gets let off the hook time and again all because he’s a lost soul, a celebrity with a serious addiction problem. It a pity, these same judges aren’t so sympathetic with other addicts. It is a total mockery of the law. I dont' care how much of a musical genius Pete Doherty is. To me, he is just pothead and I don't see why he owns a license to behave as he pleases, with total disregard for the law.

Halle Berry was in a hit and run incident in 2000 and she got away with three years probation and a fine. And if it were me, instead of George Michael, slumped at the wheel that morning, and in possession of drugs, I would not have got a caution from the police. I would more than likely be convicted of endangering the lives of the public and for driving under the influence. But then, I’m not George Michael am I?

These are just a few, in a series of stories that illustrate how being rich and famous guarantees you more than a few shares of allowances under the law. The whole arrest thing is just a joke really. It’s almost as if getting your mug-shot at a cop shop is about as fashionable as having your picture on the cover of Vogue.

If celebrities are going to be arrested, then I think it’s about time that they were viewed with the same legal eye as the rest of us. Arrests need to be followed by convictions and punishment. Perhaps an example needs to be made of someone, if only to drive home the point that you cannot keep getting away with breaking the law just because you are rich and famous.

I don’t see how being a celebrity should distinguish one person from another under the law. No one should be allowed to escape the long arm of the law, not matter who they are.

Comments

Anonymous said…
that is sooooo true! celebs get away wit too much someone should put a stop to it!!

Popular posts from this blog

Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z

Vanity Fair