Warm Waffles, Hot Chocolate And A Reunion In The Rain.

I'm in Brussels this cold Saturday evening for a very special reunion with one of my dearest Kiwi friends Frennie. We first met at a bus stop in Birkdale and realised that we lived in the same apartment block. We've remained friends ever since despite us both having left Auckland quite a few years ago.

Fren is here on a research scholarship for her PHD. She lives permanently in Christchurch which is quite a long way from me in London. So when I knew she was going to be in Brussels; it seemed like the perfect place to meet up again. In fact, when we finally came face to face after almost 4 years last evening it was great to see my dear friend.

We strolled along the wonderfuly lit Grand Place; where the evening market stalls were still in operation, despite the rain. It was all very festive and colourful as expected given the time of the year. We treated ourselves to warm waffles in the rain and went to a cafe for dinner where we chatted and reminisced. I sampled some fine Bellevue Kreik beer here and despite the wet and cold weather; it really was a wonderful evening

I've spent this morning roaming the streets like Rue de Neuve where fashion is the name of the game and you really are spoiled for choice. The christmas market stalls are everywhere and the Belgium chocolates, the waffles, the lace, not to mention the famous monuments are all worth the view. I had a photo moment with a Van Gogh poser. I then discovered Mannekenpis by accident - quite amusing. Mannekenpis is the little statue of the boy who wees; some days I'm told the wee is not always water but actual fine quality Belgian beer. The Belgians obviously have a sense of humour.

In the evening, Fren took me to the European quarter which houses the European Comission, the European Council and the European Parliament. It is a quieter part of Brussels and there are a few nice restaraunts here. We went to Maison Antoine, which is renowned for having the most amazing chips, a fact I'll happily verify; particularly after sampling them. The chips are double fried, crunchy on the outside and yet soft in the centre and they offer a variety of sauces to go with it. A lot of walking to burn off the calories followed. A while later, we had a good meal and some Leffe Beer at a local restaurant and then dessert and hot chocolate at Frennies. No doubt the calorie counting failed miserably today but it isn't every day I get to be in Brussels.

It is often said that, "Friends are gifts that our heart treasures". I definately count this gift among the finer treasures that I have. And that makes this reunion so much more special.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi K,

You made my stay in Brussels truly wonderful. It was wonderful seeing you again and doing lots of girly and touristy things with you like we did in Wellington, after having left Auckland all those years ago now. You were and will always be one of the best friends I will ever have. I hope we continue the reunion tradition when we both return to New Zealand. Take care, my dear, dear friend and I hope your dreams and wishes come true in 2007. I have a feeling they will!!

love Frennie
Anonymous said…
Hi K,

You made my stay in Brussels truly wonderful. It was wonderful seeing you again and doing lots of girly and touristy things with you like we did in Wellington, after having left Auckland all those years ago now. You were and will always be one of the best friends I will ever have. I hope we continue the reunion tradition. Take care, my dear, dear friend and I hope your dreams and wishes come true in 2007. I have a feeling they will!!

love Frennie

Popular posts from this blog

Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z

Vanity Fair