Coffee with Seven Brides, Seven Brothers, Morse and Lewis

I woke up to a blinding ray of sunshine this morning and I thought it would be a wonderful and warm day. God knows, after the last few bitterly cold days we’ve had, a bit of warmth from the sun would be really good.

Someone should have hit me on the head to remind me that we are in winter still and that the sun is deceptive. Of course, the reminder only came when I left the house to go to the gym and discovered that it was not just sunny, but cold and windy. In short, it was freezing.

So when I got back home, there was really not a lot else to do, besides curl up like a lounge lizard and watch some telly. I caught a bit of “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”, which I think is one of the most brilliant musicals ever made. That barn dance is one scene I’ll never tire off.

After that, I made myself a cup of steaming coffee and sat down to watch Inspector Morse and his sidekick Lewis attempt to solve another wonderfully scripted murder.

The story today was called “Happy Families” and was about a business tycoon who gets murdered. His wife and sons come under suspicion. Things get sticky as the sons get murdered not long after. Morse is targeted by the tabloid press who label him incompetent and he also clashes with a new chief superintendent. The good inspector was definitely having a bad week. Of course he eventually figured it out and had the last word.

I love John Thaw as most people do and his portrayal of Morse is quite superb. Morse with his love of classical music brought such refinement to the screen. Also I think Kevin Whatley as Lewis compliments him perfectly.

Sadly John Thaw died from cancer in 2002. There will be no new series of Morse, but he left us with episodes full of memories and they aren’t going anywhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Kim!
Love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers as well : ) My sister and I always fought over Benjamin, and thought that Dorcas, who was his love interest, was a real dork.
Based in Chch now - goodbye Auckland (and overpriced North Shore rentals!).

take care,
frennie

Popular posts from this blog

Of DoctERRS and MediSIN

Mark and Lady X, Y or Z

Vanity Fair